Volodymyr Zelenskyy arrived on a Royal Air Force plane. He landed at London’s Stansted Airport.
President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy has arrived in the United Kingdom. This was announced by British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak on Twitter on Wednesday, February 8.
“Welcome to the UK, President Zelenskyy. Glory to Ukraine”
British TV channels reported that Volodymyr Zelenskyy arrived on a Royal Air Force plane. He landed at London’s Stansted Airport.
It is planned that the Ukrainian leader will immediately go to Downing Street for talks with Sunak, and then speak in parliament at 13:00.
“The UK was one of the first to come to the aid of Ukraine. And today I am in London to personally thank the British people for their support and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak for his leadership”
Also on the evening of 8 February, French President Emmanuel Macron awarded Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy with the Legion of Honour. In France, this is the highest award given by the head of state for military or civil services.
“This is a tribute to Ukraine and its people. Honor to you, dear Volodymyr, for your courage and dedication”
Also today, British authorities imposed new sanctions against Russian companies in the military-industrial complex, as well as Russian citizens “associated with the personal power and wealth of Vladimir Putin,” according to the government website.
The list of Russian companies subject to UK sanctions includes:
- ZALA Aero Group Unmanned Systems (a Russian developer of drones)
- Rostekhkomplekt (manufacturer of parts for combat helicopters)
- Oborongistika (military cargo delivery company)
- JSC Universalmash (manufacturer of military tracked and wheeled vehicles)
- Topaz Research and Production Enterprise (developer of software for military aircraft)
- LLC “Lipetsk Mechanical Plant” (manufacturer of military tracked and wheeled vehicles)
Since the beginning of full-scale Russian aggression, more than 1,300 Russian individuals and legal entities have fallen under British sanctions.