Members of the European Council have adopted a statement setting out the EU’s common position on the situation in the Middle East. The European Union strongly condemned Hamas and its brutal attacks against Israel in an official statement.
“The European Union condemns in the strongest terms Hamas and its brutal and indiscriminate terrorist attacks in Israel and deeply regrets the loss of life. There is no justification for terror,” the EU Council’s website states.
In addition, the EU strongly emphasised “Israel’s right to defend itself under humanitarian and international law in the face of such violent and indiscriminate attacks”.
The EU called on Hamas to immediately release all hostages without preconditions.
The EU members also expressed their readiness to continue assisting the Gaza Strip residents, ensuring that terrorist organisations do not misuse such assistance.
They called for “the provision of urgent humanitarian aid and stand ready to continue supporting those civilians most in need in Gaza”.
The IDF is finalising preparations for a ground operation in Gaza. Its start has been delayed due to the extension of the evacuation period granted to the civilian population of the Strip.
On the morning of Sunday, 15 October 2023, Hezbollah, a pro-Iranian Shiite group from Lebanon, launched a rocket attack on the IDF Al-Raheb base on the Israeli-Lebanese border.
For the first time in history, an entire city was evacuated in Israel. Deputy Mayor Elad Kalimi said that almost two-thirds of the population had already left the city, and several thousand more would do so soon.
Also, on 15 October, the Israeli Energy Minister confirmed the decision to turn on the water supply in southern Gaza, agreed with the US Prime Minister and President.
US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said the Rafah crossing between Egypt and Gaza would soon be reopened for evacuation.
Israel’s war with the Hamas terrorist group has lasted 9 days.