The Dutch company Dieseko has paid 1.78 million euros to the Dutch budget as part of an out-of-court settlement that began after the report about its role in the construction of the Russian Kerch Bridge. The Dutch prosecutor’s office reported on this decision.
In 2017, the media published an investigative article about the involvement of Dutch companies in the construction of the Crimean Bridge by Russia in the illegally annexed Crimea, which led to a criminal investigation by the Dutch Prosecutor’s Office.
The investigation targeted Dieseko, a construction equipment supplier. Allegations surfaced that in 2015–2016, the company not only sold piling machines and related equipment for the Crimean Bridge construction but also provided technical assistance, including dispatching its mechanics to the site.
Dieseko was found guilty of violations of sanctions laws during that period because of its involvement in the construction of the Crimean Bridge. The prosecution considered this “very serious for several reasons”, the prosecutor’s office said. When there is a threat to international peace and security, countries, organizations, companies, and individuals are subject to international sanctions, it stated.
In June 2014, the European Union (EU) imposed sanctions in response to Russia’s annexation of Crimea. On June 23, 2014, the Council of the EU condemned this illegal annexation in Regulation (EU) No. 692/2014. These sanctions have since prohibited the sale of goods and the provision of technical assistance to individuals and companies in Crimea.
The Netherlands attaches importance to enforcing EU sanctions. Dieseko’s actions undermine international sanctions. Failure to comply with sanctions has resulted in the construction of the Crimean Bridge (in part due to the deployment of Dutch knowledge and expertise), the report said.
The prosecutor’s office agreed to an out-of-court settlement because they had never brought the company to justice before. According to the settlement, Dieseko will pay a fine of 180,000 euros and the state will confiscate the “illegally obtained benefit” of 1.6 million euros.
The Dutch company also promised to take measures to prevent future violations of EU sanctions.
The Dutch prosecutor’s office reports that six companies and 10 individuals have already faced justice for their involvement in the construction of the Kerch Bridge, with all cases resolved out of court.
Last year, in connection with the construction of the Kerch Bridge, a German court imposed a fine of 1.3 million euros on a manager in a company in Schleswig-Holstein for violating sanctions against Russia.
When Ukrainian drones struck a Tuapse oil refinery three times in two weeks, the Kremlin…
Russia's Matryoshka disinformation network moved within hours of the April 25 White House Correspondents' Dinner…
MEPs voted 446 to 63 on Thursday to demand the swift establishment of a special…
Two SIS officers held in Russia were released on 28 April as part of a…
Geoffrey Cox, who served as Attorney General under both Theresa May and Boris Johnson, was…
The European Parliament voted 418 to 207 on Wednesday to freeze EU funds for Slovakia…