The Russian propaganda news outlet RIA Novosti has claimed that the Greek Foreign Ministry has revoked the accreditation of its chief correspondent, forcing it to close its bureau in Greece.
The RIA Novosti report claims that the Greek Foreign Ministry refused to extend the accreditation of its chief correspondent in Athens, Gennady Melnik (source).
“Last year, the accreditation was extended with a delay, and this year, an employee of the Department of International Public Relations said that there would be no positive response,” the RIA said in a statement.
RIA Novosti has been under EU sanctions since June 2024 for systematically spreading Kremlin propaganda, including justification for Russia’s war against Ukraine. The Russian outlet called the closure of the office “a gross violation of the principles of freedom of speech and democracy.”
The RIA Novosti office was opened in Athens on the eve of the 2004 Olympic Games. However, since 2022, access to RIA Novosti has been blocked in Greece, as well as in other EU countries.
The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not yet officially commented on the situation.
After the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, the EU countries imposed sanctions on Russian propaganda outlets that openly engage in subversive activities and disinformation campaigns against the EU.
We have revealed in our analysis in 2024 that RIA Novosti had wide audiences among Russian speakers in the EU countries, namely in Germany. Its content fits Kremlin propaganda and Russian officials narratives, especially when it comes to Russia’s war in Ukraine and Moscow’s geopolitical confrontation with the West.
When Ukrainian drones struck a Tuapse oil refinery three times in two weeks, the Kremlin…
Russia's Matryoshka disinformation network moved within hours of the April 25 White House Correspondents' Dinner…
MEPs voted 446 to 63 on Thursday to demand the swift establishment of a special…
Two SIS officers held in Russia were released on 28 April as part of a…
Geoffrey Cox, who served as Attorney General under both Theresa May and Boris Johnson, was…
The European Parliament voted 418 to 207 on Wednesday to freeze EU funds for Slovakia…