Leaders of the EU reassure Moldovans that they are not alone in resisting aggression

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Moldova’s foreign minister Nicu Popescu said that EU leaders will convey to Moldovan citizens that they are not alone in the face of aggression. Popescu also said that the EU will convey a strong message of support for Moldova’s membership in the EU at the upcoming European Political Community Summit.

Popescu stated that the next European Political Community Summit on June 1 at Mimi Castle in Bulboaca, Moldova, will bring together political leaders from all around the continent. According to Popescu, the purpose of the visit by the European leaders is to reassure the people of the Republic of Moldova that they are not in the face of aggression.

The summit’s participants want to send a clear statement that they support the Republic of Moldova’s peace and security, especially in light of Russia’s aggression in Ukraine.

Popescu added that although Moldova is not currently the target of an overt military assault, it is still confronted with unprecedented security and economic issues, particularly in the oil sector.

According to Radio Chisinau, the second message expresses fervent support for Moldova’s peace and stability.

According to the diplomat, Moldova must make sure that the people are not “alone in front of these problems generated by Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, as well as the hostile policies of the Russian Federation against our country.”

He went on to say that the Republic of Moldova has “numerous, powerful friends” who completely back it in its efforts to uphold peace, stability, and independence. This is evident from the fact that the 50 European leaders are here in Bulboaca.

The Council voted to almost treble the amount of macro-financial support it had committed to giving Moldova a year earlier before the meeting.

It passed legislation in April 2022 that allowed the EU to provide Moldova with financial aid worth €150 million. The total was increased to €295 million on Tuesday by the addition of another €145 million.

Additionally, the Council slapped sanctions on five businessmen and officials from Russia and the Republic of Moldova who had destabilized the country, including fugitive oligarch Vladimir Plahotniuc.

The Chisinau Court of Appeal decided on Monday that Plahotniuc must be tried in absentia in the “Grand Theft” case involving the theft of $1 billion from the Moldovan banking system between 2012 and 2014.

The Romanian Foreign Ministry stated that Romania “had a central role in the creation of this EU sanctions regime.”

Moldova submitted a membership application to the EU in March of last year, and in June of that same year, it was given candidate status. Once Moldova satisfies the requirements outlined by the EU Commission, the Council will decide on the next course of action.

Read all articles by Insight News Media on Google News, subscribe and follow.
Scroll to Top